Local fire departments able to save structure during attic fire – News – Cheboygan Daily Tribune – Cheboygan, MI

Kortny Hahn Staff Writer, @khahnCDT @khahnCDT

TOPINABEE – Two local fire departments worked together on Saturday night to put out a fire in the attic of a house on Numbers Road in Topinabee.

At around 8:25 p.m. on July 18, the Topinabee Fire Department was dispatched to a fire in the attic in the house on Numbers Road, where smoke was leaking from the roof. Members of the fire brigade were on site within minutes, firefighters from the Tuscarora municipality not far behind. The two departments were able to work together to put out the fire before the structure was damaged too much.

“The fire was contained in the attic,” said Topinabee Fire Chief Mike English. “It is believed that the fire was caused by lightning bolts of two different origins in the attic.”

English said most of the damage was in this area as well, with only some water and ceiling damage to the living space of the house. The firefighters were able to save most of the household’s contents for the homeowners.

The fire had burned through parts of the roof of the house, so the firefighters had to cut through the areas where the fire had burned to gain access to the flames and more easily put them out.

The structure is salvageable, but some major work needs to be done on the roof to mend the holes cut by the fire department and repair the damage from the fire themselves.

Anyone home at the time of the fire could see it for sure. Cheboygan Life Support Systems ambulance personnel checked out one of the inmates who had been home at the time of the fire and released her at the scene.

The Cheboygan County Sheriff’s Bureau of Emergency Management was able to help the residents of the house stay overnight so that they would not be left homeless.

In total, the two fire departments used around 4,000 gallons of water to put out the fire and any remaining trouble spots. The firefighters were on site for about four hours.

The fire departments were also supported on site by soldiers from the Michigan State Police’s Gaylord Post.

Comments are closed.