How to remove chocolate stains from clothing and furniture
Who doesn’t love chocolate? When it’s in candy or on its own, chocolate is awesome, but when it melts on clothes or your carpet? Eek, it’s absolutely terrible. Here are some guaranteed ways to remove the stain from kids’ clothes and furniture.
Chocolate. It’s one of those goodies that all kids love – and parents try to hide away. Sure because we don’t want to share, but also because trying to remove it from clothing when it melts over little hands and gets into what they’re wearing can be a bloody nightmare.
Because chocolate has such a low melting temperature and is made from milk solids and cocoa, it’s a nightmare for laundresses.
But with this stain removal technique, you can say goodbye to chocolate stains.
Do you want to join the family? Sign up for our Kidspot newsletter to receive more articles like this one.
Children love chocolate in all forms. Including a big cake like in Matilda. Image: Delivered
Removing chocolate stains from clothing or washable fabrics
- Gently wipe off as much of the excess chocolate as you can, being careful not to push the stain deeper into the fibers.
- Then, rinse as much chocolate as you can with cold running water from the back of the stain.
- Soak in a solution of detergent and water for at least 30 minutes as usual before washing.
RELATED: Mom Uses $ 7 Product To Remove Sofa Stains In Just Minutes
Removing chocolate stains from kids’ clothes can be a nightmare for parents. Image: iStock
RELATED: 10 Children’s Spots Solved
Removing chocolate stains from non-washable fabrics
If chocolate settles on a non-washable fabric, wait for it to dry and then carefully lift the chocolate off the fabric. Next:
- Using a damp sponge, gently blot the remaining stain until it is clean. Be careful not to over wet the area.
- More persistent stains may require additional work. If so, apply some chemical cleaning fluid to a sponge and gently blot the stain until the stain is gone. Pat dry with a dry cloth
Removing chocolate stains from carpets or furniture
Chocolate spilled on the carpet or couch? Don’t worry, your stain removal solution is here. First, act quickly to blot up any excess chocolate. If a cup of hot chocolate has been spilled, dab on as much excess as you can to keep the milk from souring and smelling. Then:
- Dab the stain with a damp sponge with a few drops of washing-up liquid. Be careful not to flood the area and blot gently until the stain is gone.
- To rinse, wipe with clean water and pat dry with a clean cloth.
This article was first published in December 2015 and updated in September 2020.