How to get makeup out of carpet: remove foundation stains quickly
If you’re looking for quick tips on how to remove makeup from carpets, fear not: your foundation didn’t necessarily ruin the old Persian carpet you treasure. Finally, the make-up is removable, so that even long-lasting primers can be removed successfully from carpets with a little patience.
Check out our guide for more tips on cleaning a carpet.
How to find out a carpet
1. If the primer stain is fresh and still damp, gently remove the excess with a paper towel. Use erasing motions to gently absorb the liquid. Don’t rub.
2. Next, spray on a stain remover. You can use makeup remover too, but if your makeup is expensive you might not want to waste it. Our favorite is the eco-friendly stain remover – we’ve tried all types of carpets out there and it’s safe and effective. You can also use an upholstery cleaner of your choice. Spray generously, leave to rest for five minutes.
3. Gently remove the stain with a cloth. If a lot of foundation has been spilled, you may need to repeat this process twice.
How to get lipstick out of a carpet
Lipstick is a bit more difficult to peel off from carpets than foundation because lipstick is based on fat or oil. So you need something that will break down the fat.
1. Carefully remove any solid pieces of lipstick from the carpet with a paper towel. Be careful not to rub or spread the stain or it will penetrate deeper.
2. Spray the stain with a degreaser. WD-40 works, but we’ve also had good results using a foaming oven cleaner like HG Grease Away. Since this is a strong product, you will need to first dilute it with a little warm water and test it on an inconspicuous part of your carpet to make sure it doesn’t stain.
3. Leave the degreaser on for five minutes, then gently remove it with a cloth.