Goodwill no longer accepting furniture donations | Coronavirus
FALLS CREEK – Goodwill Industries of North Central Pennsylvania has announced that it will no longer accept furniture donations.
“It’s hard to say no to a donation, but the costs of handling, shipping, storage and disposal have become a significant drain on goodwill operations,” said Nickolas A. Suplizio, vice president of fundraising / development and shipping / Logistics / plant operation.
According to Suplizio, moving furniture makes the work of Goodwill truckers difficult and is more likely to cause injury.
“Goodwill will redirect the time, effort and furniture storage space to bring even more items to loyal Goodwill buyers,” said Suplizio.
Donors are encouraged to find other organizations in their community that accept furniture.
Suplizio thanks the community for understanding and also for the continued support of Goodwill and its mission.
Some of the elements accepted by goodwill include:
- Antiques, collectibles
- Curtains / drapes, bed linen, towels
- Mechanical objects / tools
- Toys, games and puzzles
- Seasonal / holiday items
- Vehicles: cars, motorcycles, boats, campers
- Household: dishes, small appliances
- Electrical objects: computers, game systems, radios
- Records, tapes, CDs, DVDs
- Clothing: men, women, children
- Accessories: jewelry, hats, scarves, gloves
- Shoes and boots
In addition to furniture, Goodwill cannot accept:
- Mattresses / box spring beds, including waterbed mattresses and frames
- Carpet or carpet upholstery
- Traditional recyclables: glass, newsprint, office paper, cardboard, plastic, magazines, junk mail
- Weapons: weapons, bows and arrows, ammunition, hunting knives
- Cribs, car seats, walkers, or other products that do not meet current US Consumer Product Safety Commission safety standards, including recalled items
- Household chemical products: pesticides, paint, paint thinner, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, aerosols, and other polluting waste products.
- Hazardous vehicle waste: tires, lead-acid batteries, additives, gasoline, oils, antifreeze
- Large appliances: refrigerators, freezers, ovens / ovens, washers / dryers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, ovens, microwaves, trash compactors, water heaters, stereos with large consoles, Freon-based devices