Crews contain fire to attic of Central Saanich home – Saanich News

A structural fire in central Saanich on Tuesday morning could have been far worse had it not been for the actions of the homeowner.

Central Saanich chief fire officer Chris Vrabel said the fire in the 1900 block of Genoa Place on East Saanich Road could potentially have been “significant” to praise the reaction from the homeowner, the sole occupant of the building.

“But the early notification and the timely arrival of the fire departments limited the growth of the fire and the damage to the house,” said Vrabel from the scene of the fire shortly before 11:30 am

@SidneyVFire automatically responded with @CSaanichFire to a fire in a residential structure. @dns_fire #inittogether #yyjnews #sidney pic.twitter.com/hh0gzjdZJl

– SidneyVFire (@SidneyVFire) September 22, 2020

The crews are focusing their investigation on a bathroom fan, Vrabel said.

Vrabel added that the homeowner was doing his best to put out the fire when he first noticed it.

“But he did the right thing by calling 911 and leaving the structure,” said Vrabel.

The crews managed to contain the fire in the attic of the house.

No injuries have been reported and an investigation is ongoing.

Crews from the Sydney Volunteer Fire Department and North Saanich Fire Department joined the Central Saanich crews, bringing the total number of firefighters to 17.

“We’ll be there for a while and just monitor and make sure everything is safe and tidy,” he said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: [email protected]

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram and like us on Facebook.

[email protected]

Saanich Peninsula

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else straight to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed.