Best Purple Mattress Features: Pros/Cons, Reviews, & Tips
Purple mattresses do not fit into the usual foam, latex, hybrid or innerspring mattress categories. They use a proprietary stretchable material (a hyperelastic polymer) in grid form that is advertised as “no pressure support” and is often referred to simply as the Purple Grid.
The material was invented by Tony and Terry Pearce, brothers who had already patented pressure relief cushioning materials for wheelchairs, hospital beds, and other specialized uses.
Here we’re looking at the original Purple model, which has a 2 inch top layer of polymer mesh material, as well as newer models that add pocket wraps, more support foam, and more polymer mesh material.
There is no best mattress for everyone. Which mattress brand will work for you depends on many factors, including price, health issues, your preferred sleeping position and your size. The information here is intended to help you choose the type of purple mattress that is best for you.
- The majority of purple mattress buyers rate their mattresses as comfortable and relieving points where they felt pressure on a previous mattress.
- Purple mattresses sleep cool.
- The online customer service is fast, competent and helpful.
- Delivery is free (via FedEx) to your door.
- Mattresses are made in the United States.
- You can sleep on the mattress for 100 days and return it for a full refund within that time if you don’t like it. Purple will arrange a return pickup when you shop on the site.
- You can buy it online or from Macy’s, Mattress Firm, or some local mattress stores.
- According to many reviewers, the polymer mesh takes getting used to. If you love your foam or gel mattress, you may not be able to adapt to the Purple Grid.
- Premium models are expensive.
- Purple mattresses, especially the larger ones, are heavy.
- You may need to buy new sheets to fit. Lila recommends that you use the stretchy sheet brand. These are relatively expensive.
- The Purple mattress cover is not washable. Customer service recommends: “The mattress cover can be removed. However, we do not recommend removing it even for cleaning, only cleaning it on site [the mattress]. ”
- You may want to buy a mattress protector to go over the mattress cover. When asked, customer service advised: “It’s really up to you. If you have children or pets, it’s a good idea. However, if you choose a mattress protector, we recommend a stretchable one so that the mattress doesn’t feel like a drum. ”
- When you buy your Purple mattress from Amazon, you only have a 30-day return window. Amazon shoppers have complained that Purple won’t pick up returns purchased from Amazon.
Lila gives you the option to make monthly payments on their website through Splitit or third party Affirm.
The prices here are for queen size mattresses for comparison.
- $ = under $ 1,500
- $$ = $ 1,500 to $ 2,000
- $$$ = over $ 2,000
Purple’s original mattress was an internet success story backed by their video ads.
Materials in all purple mattresses
- Purple mattresses have a top layer of polymer mesh made up of 1 inch squares that are 2, 3, or 4 inches thick depending on the model.
- The polymer mesh has a non-toxic coating to prevent the polymer from sticking to itself. (In particular, it is polyethylene copolymer powder.)
- The materials are FDA approved for food or food contact.
- The foam support layers are vegan and certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Mattresses have a non-toxic fire retardant layer.
- Mattresses have a stretchy white cover made of viscose (29 percent), polyester (67 percent) and Lycra (4 percent).
Original purple mattress
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 9.25 in
- Mattress weight: 110 pounds
- Good for: Back, stomach and side sleepers
The original purple mattress had a 2-inch layer of hyper-elastic polymer on top of two layers of foam. The middle layer, called comfort foam, is 3.25 inches. The base foam layer, 4 inches, is used for support.
Thousands of reviewers give the Original Purple five stars for comfort and pressure relief. Some note that it may not be best for heavier-weight sleepers or tall sleepers who fare better on the hybrid model with firmer support layers.
Buy the original purple online.
Purple hybrid mattress
- Price: $$
- Mattress height: 11 inches
- Mattress weight: 122 pounds
- Good for: Back and stomach sleepers
The hybrid has a 2-inch layer of polymer mesh on top of a dense polyurethane foam layer both above and below a 7.5-inch layer of individually wrapped pocket coils (made from 95 percent recycled steel).
The addition of coils gives the hybrid mattress more support and bounce than the original.
The Purple Hybrid may be a good choice for heavier body sleepers because it offers more support.
Buy the Purple Hybrid online.
Purple Hybrid Premier
- Price: $$$
- Mattress height: 12 to 13 inches
- Mattress weight: 145 to 168 pounds
- Good for: Side sleeper
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress has a thicker layer of polymer mesh than the Original and Hybrid. The Purple Hybrid Premier is available in two models:
- a 3 inch high grid layer
- a 4 inch high grid layer
The supportive coil and foam layers are the same as on the hybrid. The Hybrid Premier mattresses don’t feel as firm as the Hybrid. The difference in having more of the Purple Grid has been described as “floating” with great pressure relief. Other people describe the feeling of the Purple Grid as the cradle of their body and give them a weightless feeling.
The 4-inch Hybrid Premier is best for heavier sleepers. Lila also recommends the 4-inch for side sleepers and “full figured” sleepers, as it feels softer, but also better supports the heavier parts of the body.
The Hybrid Premier usually comes with a White Glove service where Purple will deliver and install your new mattress. You are not removing your old mattress.
Buy the Purple Hybrid Premier.
Check for changes to personal services
The Purple website states, “While we normally offer delivery of white gloves, this service was suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic. We will open white glove delivery for customers as soon as it is safe! “
Purple children’s mattress
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 7 inch
- Mattress weight: 37 pounds
Introduced in mid-2020, the kid mattress costs roughly the same price as an original purple model in two sizes. The dimensions are the same as an adult single bed, but the mattress is less deep. It consists of a 2 “grid layer of hyperelastic polymer on top of two foam layers of 2.5” each.
The kid mattress has the advantage of being a washable mattress cover.
It is recommended for teens up to 115 pounds.
Buy the Purple Kid mattress online.
Purple pet mattress
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 5 inches
- Mattress weight: 8, 16 or 25 pounds
Pet beds come in three sizes to accommodate small (1 to 30 pounds), medium (31 to 70 pounds), and large (71+ pounds) pets. They are robust, antimicrobial and come with washable covers. They also come with a 100-day trial period and a 1-year warranty.
The ratings averaged 4.5 stars. Many pet owners reported that the bed helped their older dogs.
Buy the Purple Pet Bed online.
Purple mattresses were originally only online, but now you can buy them at Macy’s, Mattress Firm, and some independent local stores. Lila offers a store locator on her website.
Purple has seasonal sales like Black Friday. Lila also has website specials when you buy combinations of their products, like a mattress and a purple pillow or sheet.
Purple is offering healthcare professionals, military personnel, first responders, truckers, teachers, and students a 10 percent discount.
The company increased its manufacturing capacity in 2020 to meet the growing demand for mattresses made in the United States.
According to the Purple website, the mattresses will be shipped within 3 to 4 days.
Lila has an A + rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Amazon reviews have overall Rating of 4.1 stars, with 65 percent 5 star ratings.
According to a 2020 survey by JD Power, purple mattresses have the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any online mattress.
Most of the reviews on the Purple website are positive. Out of around 26,000 reviews on the website, the overall rating is 4.4 stars. Many say that Lila is the best sleep they ever had, or that Lila takes away their pain.
The negative reviews include:
- Reports of nicks from mattress wear after a few weeks or months
- reports that the purple grid is deteriorating
- Delivery delays (Purple has now increased its production capacity)
- Complaints that the mattress, including the Hybrid Premier, is too hard
Every seller has a different return policy
Return policies and steps may vary from store to store. For example, Amazon has a 30-day return policy and you must package your mattress for the return.
Lila will give a full refund if you return the mattress within 100 days. You can call Purple to arrange a mattress pickup.
Do you know the terms of the guarantee
For example, the 10 year limited warranty covers defects in materials. If the surface is indented more than 1 inch after proper use, Purple will replace it.
It is likely that you will need someone to help you carry your new mattress to the bed and lift it onto the bed platform.
Purple mattresses are heavy, especially the larger sizes that can weigh 200 pounds. For the first delivery, the mattress is delivered in a large roll with straps on the packaging compressed to make it easier for two people to carry it.
When you move, Purple has tips on how to wrap and carry your mattress for short and long movements, or for storage.
Purple is a great choice if you are open to innovative mattress material and have the budget.
The Original Purple accommodates many sleep types, and the Purple Hybrid takes advantage of the Purple Grid for softness and coils for more support.
Online customer service is helpful in answering questions. Purple mattresses are now available in stores so you can try them out. Mattresses can be returned for a full refund within 100 days.
Marjorie Hecht is a longtime magazine editor and writer and is now a freelance writer on Cape Cod. Her specialties are science, technology and medicine, but her diverse career has included serving as a reporter for the United Nations and reporting on politics in Washington, DC. She earned an MSW from Columbia University, a BA from Smith College, and a postgraduate degree in Racing and Demography from the London School of Economics.