Adrian house uninhabitable after nighttime attic fire – News – The Daily Telegram – Adrian, MI

ADRIAN – Three apartments had to be evacuated early Saturday morning due to a fire in the attic.

Emergency personnel were dropped off at 2:44 am with information about heavy smoke from a house at 713 N. Broad St., Adrian.

The son of a neighbor in the next house smelled smoke and alerted his father, said Adrian Fire Department Capt. Don Cushing. Then they noticed heavy smoke from the residence next door.

Then they alerted the residents of the house and all residents of the house were able to get out safely with the support of the Adrian Police Department.

According to Cushing, the firefighters saw a large amount of smoke coming out of the house and a few minutes later noticed fire was pouring from the back and south side of the attic of the two-story house.

“The fire appeared to be contained in the southern, southwestern part of the building,” said Cushing.

Adrian Fire Brigade personnel was initially automatically assisted by units from the Adrian and Madison Township Fire Brigades, but a box alarm was triggered bringing in units from the Raisin, Palmyra and Cambridge Township Fire Brigades.

“We could go in there and pull down some blankets and get access to the fire and put out the fire,” said Cushing.

Cushing said at the scene that the fire and efforts to fight it had temporarily left both floors, which had two apartments on the second floor and one on the first, uninhabitable.

He estimated that about 50% of the house was damaged – especially the second floor.

“If you spray water on the second floor, it can get up to the first floor and cause problems there,” Cushing said, adding that he knew there were at least three adults in the house who will all be staying with the family.

Neither the residents of the house nor firefighters or pets were injured.

Cushing said at the scene that the cause of the fire was uncertain.

Comments are closed.