5 Best Carpet Cleaners to Buy 2021
If your home has a lot of carpeting, which is causing a lot of traffic and staining, a carpet cleaner is a worthwhile investment. If you have plenty of storage space, owning a machine will be less costly over time than renting or hiring a professional carpet cleaning service. You also have the machine on hand for instant stain removal and regular maintenance to keep your carpets looking better for longer.
The Good Housekeeping Institute’s Home Appliances and Cleaning Products Laboratory rates carpet cleaning machines on how well they clean pre-soiled carpet tiles, how much moisture they leave behind, how long the carpets dry, and how easy they are to assemble and use. and save. We also test all attachments on upholstered furniture. Knowing that not all households have the same carpet cleaning needs, our cleaning experts provide recommendations for carpet cleaners that will tackle pet soiling, are safe for carpets, and fit into limited space. These are the best carpet cleaning machines in GH Cleaning Lab reviews.
The first choice of our cleaning laboratory is the Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro carpet cleaner. It can clean everything from light to heavy floors, and the twin roller brushes help pull even the deepest dirt out of carpets. If you need to clean in a hurry, do not be afraid: in the express cleaning mode, our test carpets could be cleaned and dried in just about an hour. This is one of the reasons we received our Good Housekeeping Seal. And because the clean and dirty water tanks are stacked (rather than side by side or front to back), the device has a sleek design and low profile that is easy to maneuver and store under furniture. We’re all about less crowd!
Before you buy a carpet cleaner:
Renting a carpet cleaning machine might sound convenient, but when you factor in the coordination required to pick up and drop off the device, the added cost of the cleaning solution, and keep in mind that the machine you rent is likely to be quite used (i.e. not as efficient as a new cleaner can be) you may want to jump in for yourself. When you roll up your sleeves and clean your carpets yourself, your carpets get new life and the satisfaction of a super clean home.
Even so, most carpet manufacturers say you should professionally clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months – and some even ask for it to keep the carpet under warranty!
- Take the weight of the machine into account. Carpet cleaners are much harder to push and cumbersome to use than traditional vacuum cleaners. And when you add water, they weigh even more.
- Look for specificssuch as edge cleaning, rotating brushes, a heater and attachments. Most come with attachments to clean small areas and small bottles of detergent to get you started. Depending on your needs, they can be worth the money.
- Read the machine warranty (Many manufacturers publish this information on their websites). Meanwhile, check your rug’s warranty to make sure you’re not using a product that will invalidate it.
BEST OVERALL CARPET CLEANER
Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Carpet Cleaner
ProHeat 2X Revolution Pet Pro Carpet Cleaner
$ 249.99 (17% off)
- Includes an attachment for stubborn stains
- In express mode, carpets dry in about an hour
- The brush roller cover is removable for easy cleaning
This cleaner is your carpet’s new best friend. This full-size machine cleans and treats stairs, upholstery, and can even fight pet hair. One of the innovative features of Bissell is a targeted spray nozzle for stains. It works with just a pedal and without stopping, bending down and using a separate product. The 2-in-1 upholstery tool for pets removes stubborn pet hair dry and wet to zap stains on upholstery fabrics and mattresses. Carpet machines of the past were bulky, but this one is light and gets a high five from the GH Cleaning Lab for its roller brush cover, which can be removed for cleaning.
Weight: ~ 19 lbs.
BEST VALUE CARPET CLEANER
Hoover Smartwash automatic carpet cleaner
Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner
- The premixed solution makes cleaning very easy
- Removable nozzle in one step for cleaning the brushes
The Hoover Smart Wash is a convenient full-size carpet cleaning machine. This budget-friendly model has handy features that allow you to get your job done without the hassle. To use, slide the cleaner forward and use it washes the carpet with a premixed combination of water and cleaning formula. Pull back on the device and it will remove the moisture to dry the carpet. By automatically delivering the right combination of solution and water, you do less. If you are concerned that your carpet is too wet, choose the Dry Only setting and give it a few more passes. It also comes with a hose and attachments.
Weight: ~ 19 lbs.
BEST CARPET CLEANER FOR AREA CARPETS
Bissell CrossWave floor and carpet cleaner
CrossWave floor and carpet cleaner
- Wet-dry vacuum
- Works on carpets and bare floors
- Comes with a tray for non-drip storage
- Not suitable for silk or other delicate carpets
Small pile carpets are easy to clean as most of the dirt remains on the surface and you don’t need a stiff brush to go deep. The Bissell CrossWave gently cleans carpets with a soft microfiber and nylon brush, so you don’t have to worry about damaging the short pile or fraying the loops. Best on low flat carpets, this lightweight gasket holder also vacuums dry dirt and works on bare floors. And we liked that releases just enough water for cleaning, but not so much that it wets the carpet or the floor underneath. It’s lightweight and has easy-to-reach controls so you can move from vacuuming to washing without missing a step. There’s even a spot to tuck the wet brush away until it’s dry.
Weight: ~ 11 lbs.
BEST CARPET CLEANER
Bissell Pet Stain Eraser 2003T
20037 Pet Stain Eraser cordless portable carpet cleaner
- Can remove old, stubborn stains
- Acts as a wet and dry vacuum
- Takes a little practice to align the spray
The Bissell Pet Stain Eraser is a super easy to use (and compact!) Carpet stain remover as well as a dry and wet vacuum cleaner. This seal holder works indoors, but is also easy to use on car seats and everything else on the go. Not only is it cordless, it’s wireless too Battery lasted 18 minutes in our tests. That is certainly enough time to remove those stubborn stains. We put grape juice and coffee on the white carpet and the eraser easily removed them. It even removed stains that had been there for over a month! It’s effective at getting rid of gross pet stains like urine, vomit, or feces (yuck!). On board the device is the cleaning solution and a brush nozzle that can be used for additional scrubbing.
Weight: ~ 4.6 lbs.
BEST CARPET CLEANER FOR RENT
Carpet Doctor Mighty Pro X3
Mighty Pro X3 Commercial Carpet Cleaner
- A large capacity tank will require fewer fillings
- 12-foot hose for long range
- Handle folds down
- Difficult and difficult to maneuver for some
If you are really serious about carpet cleaning, The Rug Doctor is the next best thing to professional cleaning. The rental option is best if you don’t want to own storage space. When you buy it, it comes with a hose and attachments for cleaning stairs and upholstery, as well as cleaning formulas. When you rent everything is bought separately. The Rug Doctor has received the highest rating from the Carpet & Rug Institute – the trade organization for the carpet industry – for soil removal, water removal and softness. Note that this only works on the reverse stroke.
Weight: ~ 39 lbs.
Using a carpet cleaner
- Vacuum the area thoroughly to pick up loose dirt before you thoroughly clean your carpets. Move the furniture out of the way while cleaning the entire floor.
- Place aluminum foil or wax paper under the furniture legs It’s too hard to move. This prevents wooden surfaces from staining the carpet as it dries.
- Start cleaning at the furthest point from the door and work back so you can get out when you’re done.
- Never close a room with a wet, freshly cleaned carpet;; It slows drying time and can encourage mold growth. Instead, let the air circulate by opening the doors and windows.
- Once the carpet is dryVacuum again to take up the remaining soil.